A gluten free and vegetarian taco casserole.
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water or stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1– 15oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup your favorite salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 4 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 oz shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- diced avocado, halved cherry tomatoes and lime for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Butter a 9-inch oven proof baking dish.
- Add quinoa and water plus a pinch of kosher salt to a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fully cooked. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the casserole.
- Meanwhile, het the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, sweet potato, jalapeño and garlic. Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, and salt. Cook another 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa, black beans, sautéed veggies, salsa, cilantro, corn meal and a handful of the cheese (reserve the rest for the top).
- Transfer the quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes until the cheese is melted and the edges are bubbling. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 minutes before diving in.
- Garnish with diced avocado, halved cherry tomatoes, additional cilantro and wedges of lime if desired.