This simple applesauce cake is studded with dried blueberries and made with cinnamon and whole wheat flour. It’s a great after school snack for the kids and makes a great cake to serve at brunch.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups apple sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9×9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together both the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add oil, vanilla extract, apple sauce and eggs; beat for 2-3 minutes with a hand mixer at low speed, scraping the bowl frequently until cake batter is mixed well. Stir in 1/4 of the dried blueberries.
- Pour batter into pan and sprinkle top of cake with remaining 2 tablespoons of dried blueberries.
- Bake cake for 35 minutes or until cake is set and a toothpick dipped into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool completely on baking rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe has been adjusted for high altitude.