- 8 oz breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 packed cup, coarsely shredded kale
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease the insides of a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin or a standard 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large saute pan, brown sausage over medium heat about 7-8 minutes. Add onion and cook just until soft about 3-4 minutes more. Add shredded kale and cook 1-2 minutes just so it softens up a bit. Remove mixture from heat.
- Crumble cornbread into a large bowl and add sausage/kale mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half and half, salt, pepper, ground mustard and maple syrup. Pour the egg mixture into the corbread/kale mixture and stir until cornbread and sausage mixture is evenly moist. Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Divide the mixture between the 6 muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through and slightly brown on top. Serve immediately.
These freeze beautifully. Simply gently reheat in the microwave.