Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Rice Krispie Treats
This is how you make an iconic household treat even better: double the marshmallow, use brown butter and add vanilla bean. Without a doubt, these are the best rice krispie treats I’ve ever had.
How can you not swoon when you hear the name Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Rice Krispie Treats? I know that’s exactly what I did when I read the name on the homemade, plastic wrapped treat when I visited my favorite bakery in Boston, Flour. On shear principle I picked up a few up to share with my boys since rice krispie treats happen to be one of their favorite and we were also just getting ready to make a 6 hour drive to upstate New York and I wanted to pick up some road trip eats. (i.e. I wanted all the sugary treats I could get my hands on.)
If you haven’t been to one of the Flour bakeries in Boston, it’s a must the next time you visit. The homemade Oreo’s are out of this world, the pies are homey perfection and I’ve still yet to have a banana bread that lives up to the one they make. When we visited last month, we had breakfast there on Father’s Day and then picked out a bakery box of goodies to take to our friends we were going to stay with upstate New York. The rice krispie treats were a last minute addition as I saw them when I was checking out.
These soft marshmallow-y babies didn’t last a chance. Nor did anything in the bakery box for that matter. What was intended to share with our friends, end up being devoured over the long car ride. WE ATE EVERYTHING. Every last crumb. The Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Rice Krispie Treats were soft, HUGE, and the vanilla beans flecked throughout. Who knew you could take something so simple and make it so decadent. I’ve said this a million times before but it’s all about using good quality ingredients. It’s even more important when you only have a few ingredients. I like this butter and these vanilla beans.
Have a good weekend, everyone!! xo And here’s to a weekend filled with these!
The ultimate Rice Krispie Treat with brown butter, double the marshmallow and vanilla bean.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 (10-ounce) bags marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Coat a 9×13 pan with a little bit of butter.
- In a large bowl, measure out 9 cups of Rice Krispies cereal; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. After 5 minutes or so, the butter will start to foam and turn a golden brown. It will bubble and crack. Keep a close eye on it as it can burn easily. Cut the vanilla bean in half, and scrape the seeds with the back of a knife. Add the vanilla to the melting butter.
- When the butter is nice and brown, add the marshmallows. Stir over low heat until marshmallows are 90% melted. I like it when not all the marshmallows are melted. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies and stir to coat evenly.
- Press the treats into the prepared 9×13 pan. Let sit for 2 hours at room temperature before cutting into 20 or 24 squares.
I like to cut the treats and then wrap them individually in plastic wrap. They’ll stay soft and fresh for up to 3 days.