The ultimate Rice Krispie Treat with brown butter, double the marshmallow and vanilla bean.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 (10-ounce) bags marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Coat a 9×13 pan with a little bit of butter.
- In a large bowl, measure out 9 cups of Rice Krispies cereal; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. After 5 minutes or so, the butter will start to foam and turn a golden brown. It will bubble and crack. Keep a close eye on it as it can burn easily. Cut the vanilla bean in half, and scrape the seeds with the back of a knife. Add the vanilla to the melting butter.
- When the butter is nice and brown, add the marshmallows. Stir over low heat until marshmallows are 90% melted. I like it when not all the marshmallows are melted. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies and stir to coat evenly.
- Press the treats into the prepared 9×13 pan. Let sit for 2 hours at room temperature before cutting into 20 or 24 squares.
I like to cut the treats and then wrap them individually in plastic wrap. They’ll stay soft and fresh for up to 3 days.