A fall inspired vegetarian quiche with butternut squash, kale and caramelized onions.
- 9” pie crust, store bought or homemade
- 1/2 small butternut squash, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup tightly packed, finely chopped kale
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half (either will work)
- 5 oz Vermont Creamery crème fraîche
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Toss diced butternut squash onto a large baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper. Roast 30-35 minutes until tender. Remove from oven to let cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 375F degrees. Line a 9″ pie plate with your preferred pie dough. Prick the base and sides of the dough with a fork and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes just until the crust is starting to brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat a a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, butter and sliced onion. Cook, stirring often, until onions caramelize and turn a light golden color about 15 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add chopped kale and cook 3-4 minutes just until kale starts to soften. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, cream or half and half, crème fraîche, dried mustard, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whip with a fork or whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the caramelized onion and kale mixture to the base of the quiche. Then top with the roast butternut squash and half the cheese. Pour the egg mixture over and then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place quiche on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and bake in a 375F degree oven for 40-45 minutes until top of quiche is golden brown and the center of the quiche is set. Remove from oven and let coo before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.