If you’d like to make this and you DON’T need to adjust for high altitude make the following changes: increase granulated sugar to 2 full cups, decrease vanilla extract to 1 1/2 teaspoons, increase baking soda to 1 3/4 teaspoons, and increase baking powder to 2 1/2 teaspoons. Follow directions as is.
- For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- 1– 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate OR 15 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Prepare cast iron with a touch of butter if your pan isn’t seasoned. Otherwise let it be!
- In a medium bowl sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin puree, orange juice concentrate or essential oil, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Mix well with wire whisk. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and with a wooden spoon mix just until combined. Stir in chopped cranberries. Pour batter into cast iron and bake until done about 35-40 minutes. Let cool on rack for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.