A chicken and mushroom pot pie with a parmesan-puff pastry crust!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup half and half
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 10 oz puff pastry
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- In a medium cast iron pan, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add leek and cook 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery and cook 10 minutes more until soft and starting to brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and chicken stock; turn heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens a bit about 2 minutes. Turn heat off, stir in half and half, lemon zest and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Either transfer mixture to another pot or leave in cast iron and let cool. Top with puff pastry, crimping the edges around the pot. In a small bowl whip egg with a drop of water to form an egg wash. Use this to lightly brush the top of the pot pie. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Cook in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until puff pastry is puffy and golden on top. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before cutting into!