This hearty soup is perfect to warm your belly after a long day of skiing and snowboarding. Like all soups, this is particularly good if you make it the day before.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 oz cooked chicken sausage, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 red potatoes, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 4 cups kale, washed, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium-high, heat oil in stock pan and brown chicken sausage.
- Once the sausage is cooked, remove them to another plate. Lower heat to medium and add onion and celery. Cook until soft about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Add potatoes and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock and kale. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Add cooked sausages back into soup along with the half and half. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- *After adding half and half, take care not to boil. Serve.