This cake is a marriage of my two favorite things- red wine and chocolate. It’s super easy to make, using a boxed cake mix (shhh, I won’t tell) but is boozy and all around perfect!
- 1– 19 oz box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1– 6oz box black cherry gelatin
- 4 eggs
- 12 oz of your favorite red wine, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Prepare a 10-cup bundt with either butter or cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixer, beat the chocolate cake mix, black cherry jello, eggs, 8 oz red wine and vegetable oil on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Increase the speed to medium and continue to beat for 1 minute. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Pour cake batter into prepared bundt pan and gently tap the pan on your counter to release any air bubbles before baking.
- Bake on the middle rack of your oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set on baking rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully, loosen the sides of the bundt pan and invert onto a wire cooling rack.
- While the cake cools, prepare the red wine glaze: combine the butter, remaining 4 oz red wine and powdered sugar in a medium sized pan. Bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Poke lots of little holes in the slightly warm bundt cake with a toothpick and pour the sauce over the cake taking care that the cake soaks up as much sauce as possible.
- Cool completely and serve.