Egg, Potato & Pancetta Breakfast Tacos
This is the hangover edition of Taco Tuesday. Even though I’m not hungover (and haven’t been in years) these tacos are exactly what I’d want the morning after I’d imbibed too much. With an icy cold Coke-a-cola to wash it all down no less.
First off I have to apologize if yesterday’s post was a little depressing. I didn’t mean for it to be but after my mom and one of my close friends both commented on the heavy tone, I felt a little bad. I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer. I simply just meant to express that I’m feeling conflicted about work after coming home from a really awesome vacation. I am finding it hard to motivate to get out of vacation mode. That’s all. On a brighter note, I’m psyched about all the awesome produce that’s accessible right now so you can expect some fresh, seasonal fare coming to the blog over the next few months.
I’ve decided breakfast tacos are undervalued. I don’t often see them on breakfast menus and even when I do, they’re often overlooked in favor of an omelet or the beloved pancake. Whenever I’ve been invited to someone’s house for breakfast or brunch it’s all about the quiche, an egg casserole or a waffle bar. Not complaining- I love a good waffle bar- but what about breakfast tacos? Why don’t we make them more? Forget about how easy they are to throw together and the versatility but they’re so freaking tasty. I think it’s high time we start eating more breakfast tacos.
Breakfast tacos also happen to be the ultimate hangover food. Trust me when I tell you I know this first hand. I spent my entire college career and early twenties eating some version of this after a night of indulging more than I should have. More times than not I had a gigantic Coke (with extra ice) to wash my tacos down. What is it about soda and a hangover? Not that these can only be enjoyed after a night of partying. I still enjoy them as a (mostly) responsible adult who goes to bed at 9’oclock and rarely has more than one whisky. Either way, let’s have more breakfast tacos in our life, shall we?
Happy Taco Tuesday, everyone. Thanks for reading!!Print
Breakfast tacos with crispy pancetta, seasoned potatoes and scrambled eggs.
- 4 oz pancetta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 small red potatoes, diced pretty small
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 6 tortillas
- 1 avocado
- cilantro and hot sauce, optional
- In a large saute pan, cook pancetta over medium heat until crispy and all the fat is rendered. Remove pancetta from pan, crumble and lay on paper towel lined plate while you prepare the rest of the tacos.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and add potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, so the potatoes start to brown. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Depending on how small you cut the potatoes, they’ll take 15-20 minutes to cook through. When they’re soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, remove from pan and set aside.
- Beat the 6 eggs in a small bowl and add them to the same pan along with the other tablespoon of olive oil. Scramble until cooked and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To serve the tacos, divide the eggs between 6 tortillas and top with some crumbled pancetta and diced potatoes. Top with a slice of avocado, a few sprigs of cilantro and lots of your favorite hot sauce!