My new favorite bar recipe- shortbread bottom, caramel-y filling and topped with chopped walnuts, toffee bits and milk chocolate!
For the shortbread layer:
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the caramel filling:
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Toffee bar toppings:
- 11 oz bag chocolate chips (could use dark or milk, your choice)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a 9×13 baking pan with foil.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, flour and salt just until combined. Mix will be a tad crumbly.
- Press mixture evenly into the bottom of the lined pan. Bake for 15 minutes just shortbread is lightly brown. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, combine sweetened condensed milk, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl. Pour over shortbread and put back into the oven to bake for another 15-18 minutes. You want the caramel middle just to be set. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips (*reserving 1/4 cup) over the bars. Wait 2 minutes and then spread the melted chocolate in an even layer over the bars. Immediately sprinkle with toffee bits and walnuts.
- If desired, melt the reserved 1/4 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle over the bars- this is simply for aesthetics- so only take the extra step if you’re feeling it! Let bars completely cool before cutting into 24 bars.