A gluten free banana date muffin with walnuts and candied ginger.
- 15 pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 super ripe banana
- 1/4 cup plain kefir
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 1/2 cup local honey
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/8 cup chopped candied ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees; line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a food processor place dates, banana, kefir, coconut oil, vanilla, eggs yolks (save whites), honey and 1/2 cup of water. Turn processor on and process until mixed well- this will take a few minutes to fully break down dates and incorporate everything really well. Scrape down the side and process again to make sure the mixture is well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine buckwheat and almond flours, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gently combine the wet mixture into the dry mixture taking care not to over mix. Stir in the chopped walnuts and candied ginger. (I leave a few teaspoons of each out to sprinkle over the muffins.)
- Clean and dry the food processor. Place the reserved egg whites and cream of tartar in the processor and turn on. Process until mixture resembles a soft marshmallow consistency. Turn off the mixer when you get to this stage. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the other mixture and don’t over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 12 prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle muffin tops with hemp seeds and reserved walnuts and candied ginger. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
These muffins freeze beautifully. When completely cool, store muffins in a air tight container and freeze for up to a month. To reheat, put a single muffin in microwave for 30 seconds.
I’ve modified this recipe for high altitude. If you want to make them at sea level, increase the baking powder to 1 1/2 teaspoons. And decrease the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon.