Studded with chocolate chips and hazelnuts, this cake is perfect for brunch or an afternoon snack.
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon sugar + 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- To make the streusel topping: In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar with cinnamon, hazelnuts and chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and butter together until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time incorporating completely. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Alternate adding the flour and greek yogurt to the egg mixture stirring just to combine.
- Grease a 9-inch spring form pan (or a 9 x 9 square baking dish).
- Spread half of the batter into prepared pan. Top with half of the streusel topping. Spread remaining batter over the streusel and top with rest of streusel mixture.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the loaf is brown and cake is cooked all the way through.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan on rack until completely cool.
- Cut into squares and serve either warm or at room temperature.
Adjusted for high altitude, this coffee cake is a stunner. To make it at sea level, increase sugar in batter to 1 cup and baking soda and baking powder to 1 teaspoon.