A high altitude recipe for Mixed Berry Muffins. These muffins are filled with raspberries, blueberries and blackberries and a lovely lemon-sugar studded top!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons coarse sparkling white sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons sparkling sugar with lemon zest. Use your fingers to press the zest into the sugar- this helps release the oils and make it very fragrant! Set aside.
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly incorporated. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Whisk just until egg is incorporated.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the sugar/egg mixture. Stir just until combined- taking care not to over mix. Careful fold in the berries.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin pans. Divide the lemon-sugar evenly over the muffins.
- Bake at 425 F degree oven for 5 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 375 F degrees and cook for 15-18 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.