Boozy and buttery, this caramel sauce is a show stopper. Drizzled on ice cream or poured over a brownie, it is far from a basic caramel sauce.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon High West Double Rye Whiskey or similar
- Over low heat, cook sugar in a dry heavy saucepan, swirling the pan until sugar is melted and pale golden.
- Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden brown about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Carefully pour cream into sugar (mixture will bubble and steam vigorously), stirring constantly.
- Return to heat and simmer, stirring, until hardened caramel is completely dissolved. Add butter and cook, stirring, until just incorporated.
- Once again, remove from heat and stir in whiskey. Serve warm.
- Or let cool and and refrigerate until ready to use. When ready to use, bring caramel to room temperature or rewarm gently and drizzle on anything and everything.