Italian Style Zucchini Boats with Turkey Sausage
An incredibly easy weeknight dinner. Italian Style Zucchini Boats with Turkey Sausage are gluten free, on the table in 30 minutes, and a crowd pleaser.
These Italian Style Zucchini Boats with Turkey Sausage were one of those meals that I didn’t really plan, just sort of threw together, and they were so ridiculously good that I had to recreate them and share with you all. I wasn’t expecting much from them- just using up whatever I had in the fridge- and they turned out awesome! I love it when that happens. Bonus that they’re so darn easy to make and relatively healthy too.
You could use whatever your favorite ground meat is. I used a ground Italian turkey sausage but pork sausage or chicken sausage would be delicious too. I almost always have homemade marinara in the freezer but in this case I used my favorite bottled sauce, Rao’s. It’s expensive, yes, but it’s the only jarred sauce I’ll buy. Nothing else compares!
These zucchini boats are a great make-ahead meal. And even though zucchini is at it’s prime in the summer, it’s one of those veggies that you can get year round. Once made, they can be stored in the fridge for a day or two before baking. I’ve now made the twice. The first time I made them on the fly and baked right away and the second I made them in the afternoon and baked the next night for dinner. These are enough on their own for a light dinner but I served them with a salad and garlic bread. A huge hit with the whole family!
Hope you all had a nice weekend. Thanks for reading! xo, KelleyPrint
Stuffed zucchini boats with turkey sausage, marinara, and fresh veggies.
- 4 medium zucchini squash
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Cut squash in half length wise. Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of the zucchini, reserving the scooped out zucchini.
- Put the halved zucchini boats on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little garlic salt and pepper. Put zucchini in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop the insides from the zucchini.
- In a large saute pan, add olive oil. Add minced onion and bell pepper. Sauté, over medium heat, stirring often until peppers and onions are soft. Add garlic and cook one minute more. Add the scooped out zucchini insides and season with a pinch of salt. Add turkey sausage and cook until sausage is cooked all the way through. You might need to drain extra fat if the turkey sausage has more fat.
- Add marinara sauce and stir just until heated through. Taste and add a pinch of salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat.
- Remove zucchini boats from the oven and evenly divide the turkey sausage mixture between the 8 zucchini boats. Sprinkle each with a bit of parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Return zucchini boats to oven and cook another 20 minutes or so until cheese is melted and zucchini is just tender.