For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cups olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- salt and pepper
For the salad:
- 2 heads fennel, thinly sliced
- 8 carrots (about 1 lb), cut into 1/4-inch thick coins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups lentils
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together and set aside.
- To roast the veggies, preheat oven to 400F degrees. Toss sliced fennel and coined carrots on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and toss. Roast vegetables for 30-35 minutes until vegetables are just caramelized and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place lentils, garlic cloves and bay leaf in a large saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above lentils. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Place lentils in a large bowl; stir in dressing and roasted vegetables. Season with a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour (this tastes better after is sits for a bit).
- Just before serving, stir in parsley and hazelnuts. Serve at room temperature.