This vegetarian stuffed squash is both sweet and savory. It’s warm flavors are perfect for fall!
- 2 acorn squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, cleaned and diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup packed minced kale
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1– 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- On a small cookie lined with foil, place squash halves, cut side down. Roast in a preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- While squash bakes, prepare filling. In a medium size saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add diced celery, diced green onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until celery is softened. Add kale and saute another 10 minutes. Add garam masala and stir to incorporate into vegetables. Add raisins, garbanzo beans, couscous and chicken broth. Bring stock to a simmer and then cover pan, turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in pine nuts and season with salt.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon garam masala, and salt. Brush onto squash halves when they come out of the oven. Stuff each squash half evenly with couscous mixture. Serve immediately.