Taco Tuesday: Moroccan Chicken Tacos with Spiced Harrisa
We’re switching things up a little today. Taco Tuesday is coming at you from Denver, Colorado and I didn’t have a thing to do with these beauty tacos. All the credit goes to Lauren from Climbing Grier Mountain. I’m over the moon to have her here guest posting. First off she’s a fellow mountain chica and loves to ski… she’s bound to be cool, right? Add in drool worthy recipes, gorgeous photos and an often playful and always honest voice, this girl has the goods. Did I mention she loves tator tots? If you don’t already read her blog, please click over and check her out… you won’t be disappointed!
Without further ado, take it away, Lauren……
Hi, Mountain Mama Cooks readers!
I’m Lauren, author of Climbing Grier Mountain (CGM). For those of you I haven’t met, I write a food and lifestyle blog in Denver, Colorado. Yep! That means we are practically neighbors, Utah friends. Okay, really state neighbors, but you get what I’m saying.
On CGM, you’ll find delicious recipes like cheesy breakfast nacho tots, Reuben chowder, or bourbon apple sangria! You will also find a few documented shenanigans, so if you need a few giggles this morning stop by and say, “What’s up?!
Anyways, I am so stoked to be guest-posting for Kelley today. I met Kelley while we were yee-hawing it up in Austin this year at BlogHer Food. Kelley is one of my favorite food bloggers, not only because her recipes are amazing, but she is beautiful inside and out. So when Kelley asked me to create a recipe for her Taco Tuesday series I immediately said, Y to the E to the S.
These Moroccan tacos are inspired by my husband’s travel to Northern Africa this past summer. His job requires heavy international travel, and even though I miss him dearly when he is gone, I get to hear all about the exotic food he gets to eat, Hence,the harissa. Harissa is a Northern African spiced chili sauce made up a mixture of peppers such as red roasted and Serrano peppers. In Northern African they put harissa on everything! It’s like our version of ketchup, but 4,892 x better!
You can make your own harrisa at home or pick some up in a jar at your local Whole Foods. For these tacos, I kept it simple and picked a jar up at the store, which makes Taco Tuesday happen lickity-split. So, if you are looking for a little adventure on a weeknight, I highly recommend making these tacos.
It’s all the adventure sans the jet lag.Print
- 1 pound ground chicken sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup harrisa
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arugula, more if needed
- corn or flour tortillas
- In a medium skillet preheated to medium-high heat, add olive oil and chicken sausage. Break the sausage up with a fork and let it begin to brown. Once cooked, about 7 minutes, remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the last tablespoon of olive oil. Add the red pepper and onion with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté the veggies until tender about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve, take a tortilla, spread harissa all over the tortilla. Add the chicken sausage, red pepper, and onion right on top. Garnish with arugula and serve immediately.