- For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- 1– 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, raisins or chopped nuts (optional)
For the Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb box powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch salt
- 1–2 teaspoons milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Prepare pan(s) with butter and flour or spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin puree, orange juice concentrate, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Mix well with wire whisk. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and with a wooden spoon mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips, raisins or chopped nuts if using. Pour batter into pan(s) and bake until done. Let cool on rack for 10-15 minutes and then remove from pan(s) and cool entirely before frosting. Cooking times: 9 x 13: 40-45 minutes, 11 x 18: 30 minutes, large loaf pans: 40 minutes, small loaf pans: 25 minutes.
- To make frosting, cream together the softened butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer with an electric beater.
- Add orange zest, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar to taste- I usually use 1/2- 3/4 of the box and mix until thoroughly combined and smooth. Add salt. Use milk in necessary to make frosting desired consistency.
If you’d like to make this and you DON’T need to adjust for high altitude make the following changes: increase granulated sugar to 2 full cups, decrease vanilla extract to 1 1/2 teaspoons, increase baking soda to 1 3/4 teaspoons, and increase baking powder to 2 1/2 teaspoons. Follow directions as is.