This oven fried chicken has a light, crispy coating and you get to enjoy all the flavor of fried chicken without all the fat and extra calories!
For the chicken:
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cooking spray
For the coating:
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a medium bowl, season the chicken with the salt, paprika, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pour the buttermilk and lemon juice over the chicken and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake the chicken, preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Place a rack on a baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray or oil.
- To make the coating, combine the panko, cornflake crumbs, Parmesan, salt, parsley, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder in a medium bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge each piece in the crumb mixture. Put the chicken pieces onto the prepared baking sheet. Spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 40-45 minutes.