- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 cups tightly packed, finely shredded kale (about 1 bunch)
- 6 oz sharp white cheddar, coarsely chopped
- 2 small or 1 large apple, diced
- 1 cup halved (or quartered) cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped candied pecans
- Cook penne to manufacturers instructions, taking care to liberally salt the cooking water!
- When pasta is done, drain and put into a large bowl to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make dressing by putting all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake until combined; set aside.
- To the slightly cooled pasta add chopped kale, cheddar, diced apple and cherry tomatoes. Toss everything with 3/4 of the dressing. At this point, cover and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours.
- If you feel like the salad needs more dressing, use more! Otherwise keep it for another use. Just before serving, top with candied pecans and serve.