An easy recipe using a boxed cake mix and instant pudding. Pistachio cake with a cinnamon-sugar swirl is a family favorite.
- 1 box (15 oz) yellow cake mix
- 1 3.4 oz package instant pistachio pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup 1 tablespoon finely chopped pistachio nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine both sugars, cinnamon and 1/2 cup chopped pistachios; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and almond extract. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into a prepared 9-cup bundt pan. Sprinkle with the sugar-nut mixture. Top with the other 2/3 of batter.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before removing cake from pan. Let cool entirely and then frost with icing and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of chopped pistachios.
To make the icing, combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon softened butter, 2 tablespoons milk, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Beat until smooth and pour over cooled cake.
I make this all the time in my kitchen which sits at just under 7000 feet and it works beautifully every time with no modifications.