- 1/2 lb. breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 12 cup standard size muffin tin; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage, breaking it into small crumbles and cook until nicely browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from cooktop and drain the fat from the sausage.
- While sausage is cooking, slice cherry tomatoes about 1/8 inch thick. Lay the tomato slices on a paper towel and cover with an additional paper towel to remove excess moisture; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and just barely combine. Stir in cooked sausage, grated cheese and green onions. Just stir to combine. Try not to over mix!
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Add two to three sliced tomatoes to the top of each muffin.
- Lightly sprinkle sea salt and freshly ground pepper over the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown – check with a tester to make sure it comes out clean!
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes in the pan before removing to fully cool. Serve warm or at warm temperature.
- Makes 12 regular sized muffins. I did some in mini muffin tins as well and the cooking time was about the same – liked that size a little better.
These can be frozen for up to a month. Simply reheat them in a preheated 300F degree oven for 10 minutes or so.