A lighter version of a classic. This slow cooker bolognese is made with ground turkey and slowly cooks in the crockpot for maximum flavor!
- 1/4 cup bacon grease, or olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 32 oz your favorite jarred marinara
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Sauté just until soft. Add the minced garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Add the ground turkey and cook just until cooked through.
- Transfer the turkey mixture to the base of a slow cooker. Add the marinara, and bay leaf. Cook on low for 3-4 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over your favorite pasta or zucchini noodles.