- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- pinch salt and pepper
- 8 oz dried fettucini pasta, broken in half
- 1 1/2 cups diced, cooked, leftover chicken
- 1 can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, washed and diced (whites and part of greens)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 generous handfuls fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large stock filled with salted water, bring to a boil. When water boils, cook fettucini 2 minutes less than what the package specifies. (It will finish cooking in the sauce in the oven.)
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a heavy bottomed stock pot. Add flour and cook 2-3 minutes stirring regularly. Add milk slowing, stirring constantly. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes until sauce thickens. Turn the heat off and stir in both the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Stir in garlic salt and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To the sauce, add diced chicken, artichoke hearts, chopped scallions, capers, and spinach. When pasta is finished cooking, drain and add to the cheese sauce as well. Mix to cover all the noodles and veggies evenly with sauce.
- Transfer casserole mixture to a buttered 9×9 baking dish. If desired sprinkle with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, in a 350F degree oven for 45 minutes. Serve immediately.