A vegetarian stuffed delicata squash
- 3 delicata squash, cut in half length wise and seeds scooped out
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large leek, sliced thin
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp white cheddar or similar
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Place scooped out squash on a baking sheet lined with foil. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the squash halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Toast walnuts in dry pan for 5 minutes or so just to toast them- keep on an eye on them as they can burn quickly! Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add additional 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add leeks and sauté about 8 minutes until soft. Add garlic and rosemary and cook until spinach is wilted about 3-4 minutes more. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and remove from heat to let cool.
- Just before the squash is done roasting, add the bread crumbs, dried cherries and shredded cheese to the spinach/leek mixture. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove the squash from the oven and divide the spinach mixture evenly between the 6 squash halves. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes to heat through.
- Serve warm. These save and reheat beautifully!