A hearty vegetarian soup with roasted cauliflower, coconut milk and Thai red curry paste.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Toppings: toasted coconut, chopped cashews, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, hot sauce (all optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- On a large baking sheet, toss the cauliflower with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Spread the cauliflower in a single layer on a large baking sheet and roast until the tips of the cauliflower start to brown, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, warm the coconut oil until melted over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and a pinch of kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the carrot is soft- about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium high and add the wine. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring, until most of the wine evaporates. Add the curry paste and stir to incorporate.
- Add the roasted cauliflower (leaving out just a few pieces to use for garnish if desired), vegetable broth and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and use either an immersion blender or a high powered counter blender to puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the rice wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and top with toasted coconut, roasted cashews, fresh cilantro, hot sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate.