Total comfort, this vegetarian soup is loaded with cauliflower, broccoli and cheddar cheese1
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium stock pot, heat olive oil and butter.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot. Saute on medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add flour and stir 1-2 minutes until it turns golden brown.
- Add stock, broccoli and cauliflower. Turn heat to high and bring soup to a boil. Turn heat down to medium and simmer 20-30 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Take soup off heat and, using either an immersion blender or a food processor, puree soup to desired consistency. I like to leave my medium- chunky.
- Return soup to pot and place back on stove top. Over low heat, add milk or half and half, curry powder, salt and pepper. Heat through and serve. Make sure that once you add the milk or half and half that you don’t boil the soup. Serve soup with an additional sprinkle of cheddar cheese.