This whole wheat quick bread is perfect for fall with a base of apple sauce and fig preserves.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup fig preserves or fig butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple, cored and grated (skin on is ok!)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Prepare a standard size loaf pan with either butter and flour or baking spray.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar with a wire whisk. Add oil, greek yogurt, applesauce, fig butter and vanilla extract; whisk until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Stir in dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in grated apple.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until done. Remove bread from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing bread from pan to cool completely.
This is a high altitude recipe adjusted for my kitchen which sits at just below 7000 feet. If you’re not adjusting for high altitude, increase sugar by 2 tablespoons and decrease oil to 3 tablespoons.