for the squash:
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- salt and pepper
for the filling:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup minced onion, 1 medium
- 1 1/2 cup peeled and diced apple, 1 large or two small
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 6 oz cubed smoked cheddar or the like
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Split the squash in half and place the four halves cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Spread the squash with softened 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes until the flesh is soft and the squash is golden on top.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by melting the butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Add apples and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Add the currants, hazelnuts, sage, salt and cinnamon; toss to combine. Add the maple syrup. Toss to coat everything evenly and remove from heat. Let mixture cool while the squash finishes baking. When cool, add the cubed cheese.
- Divide the mixture between the 4 squash bowls. Cook 15-20 minutes just until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Top with chopped parsley if desired.