A make ahead dish thanks to the slow cooker. These are some of the best chicken tacos I’ve ever had. Baking the shells makes them toasty and nutty! A perfect weeknight dinner!
- 1 lb organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup organic low sodium chicken stock (or homemade)
- 12 organic corn tortilla shells
- cotija cheese
- smashed avocado or guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Mix all dried ingredients into a small bowl; sprinkle over the chicken breasts.
- Pour in the chicken stock.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- When chicken is cooked, use two forks to shred chicken. (Chicken can be made up to a day ahead)
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Place the taco shells in a oven proof baking dish. Divide chicken among taco shells.
- Top with a sprinkling of cojita cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until shells are toasty and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and top with smashed avocado, fresh cilantro and hot sauce.