A healthier banana muffin made with spelt flour, honey, coconut oil and Sahale Trail Mix.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup Sahale Berry Macaroon Almond Mix, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease or line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with liners. (I greased mine with butter!)
- In a small bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine lemon zest, melted coconut oil, mashed banana and honey. Mix until fully combined and then add egg, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Stir in dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Fold in 1 cup of the trail mix.
- Divide the batter evenly into the greased pan. Using the extra quarter cup of trail mix, sprinkle it on top of the muffins.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until muffins are cooked all the way through. Remove muffins from oven and let cool completely on baking rack.
These muffins freeze beautifully or they’ll last in an airtight container on the counter for 2-3 days.
This recipe was tested in my high altitude kitchen. To make at high altitude, increase baking powder to 1 1/2 teaspoons and decrease vanilla extract to 1/2 teaspoon.