A delicious fall inspired salad with roast butternut squash, wild rice, and fresh herbs!
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- zest from one orange
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
For the squash:
- 1 lb cubed butternut squash (this is @ one small butternut squash that has been peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the salad:
- 1 1/2 cups COOKED wild rice
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- THIS RECIPE CALLS FOR COOKED RICE. Prepare enough wild rice to equal 1 1/2 cups cooked rice. Set aside to cool. (I used leftover wild rice from a previous diner.)
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients expect the olive oil in a in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a nonstick baking mat. Season the butternut squash with olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, and salt; toss to combine. Make sure squash is evenly distributed on the baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes or until squash is cooked through and is golden in color. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Add cooled squash, cooked rice, dried cherries, chopped dill and parsley, feta cheese, and pecans to a large bowl. Salad can be prepared ahead to this point!
- When ready to serve, toss with desired amount of dressing. You will use about 3/4 of the dressing….maybe all of it….it’s up to you! Add pecans just before serving so they don’t get soggy. Enjoy!!