These buttery cookies are light, crispy and absolutely delectable dipped in chocolate.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 oz chocolate, coarsely chopped (or chocolate chips)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and extracts in a large bowl and mix on high with an electric mixer.
- Add egg and egg yolk, beating just until blended. Mix in the dry ingredients and milk to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into thirds. Press into disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 60 minutes. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Roll the dough out on a well floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out cookies.
- Gather the dough scraps, re-roll, and continue cutting out until all the dough is used.
- Transfer the cookies to parchment or silpat lined baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes, just until golden brown at edges.
- Transfer to cooking rack and let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Dip the hearts in the chocolate and let stand until set.
The dough is kind of sticky so make sure to chill it in the refrigerator and roll it out on a well floured surface.