A gluten free, hearty soup with all the flavors of your favorite taco!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb organic, lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced (1 jalapeño if you like it spicier)
- 1 cup thickly shredded purple cabbage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–14oz can black beans, drained
- 1 can El Pato Mexican Tomato Sauce
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 small yellow squash, cubed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- juice of 1 lime
- kosher salt to taste
- optional toppings: fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, minced red onion, diced avocado, sour cream etc.
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add ground beef and brown about 5 minutes breaking up big pieces. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño, cabbage, cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt. Stir to combine and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add drained black beans, El Pato tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and summer squash. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Turn heat back to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add corn and lime juice. Season soup with salt to taste.
- Serve soup in deep bowls and serve with desired toppings.
This soup is gluten free and Paleo friendly if you don’t add the cheese, corn or beans. But what fun is that?
- Serving Size: 1 cup