My favorite enchilada filling- ground beef and refried beans!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 oz enchilada sauce, divided
- 24 corn tortillas
- 2–3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3/4 cup refried beans
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 35oF degrees.
- Line 1 large or 2 medium pans with a thin layer of enchilada sauce- about 1/2 cup in each. I like to make 2 pans- a 9×13 pan and a 9×9 pan- this seems to fit 24 enchiladas perfectly.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up, until cooked through. Add cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, kosher salt, and enchilada sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make an assembly line with the ground beef, refried beans, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Heat a large pan (I use me electric griddle to speed up the process) to medium heat. Spread a tiny bit of coconut oil onto one side of each corn tortilla. Place corn tortilla- coconut oil side down- on griddle. Cook for 30-45 seconds and then flip. No need to put more coconut oil on the other side. Cook 30-45 seconds longer.
- Working one at a time, remove tortilla from griddle. Spread with a tablespoon of refried beans, a couple tablespoons of ground beef, and a pinch of cheese. Roll corn tortilla up and place seam side down in one of the dishes lined with enchilada sauce.
- Repeat until all tortillas have been filled, rolled and placed into baking dish(es).
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Cover dish(es) with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes until heated through and enchilada sauce is bubbly and shredded cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream, a pinch of cilantro and a slice of lime if desired.
I usually always make this into 2 pans so I can bake one off immediately and freeze one for later. These can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge.