A tried and true high altitude recipe for Chocolate Bundt Cake.
for the cake:
- 1 tablespoon butter for buttering the pan
- 1 1/4 cups strong coffee, just barely warm
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup flavorless oil such as grape seed, avocado, or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup full fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
for the frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Use the 1 tablespoon butter to thoroughly butter a 10-inch bundt cake pan, using your fingers to get in all the nuks and crannies. Use a tablespoon of cocoa powder or flour to coat the bundt pan- shaking it back and forth- to coat the pan; set aside.
- Put the coffee and cocoa powder in a small bowl and stir until cocoa is dissolved.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the wire whisk attachment, mix together the sugar, oil, salt, baking soda, and eggs on low speed about 30 seconds. Add the buttermilk, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and mix for another 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir just until combined. Add the cocoa/coffee mixture mix on high speed until well incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 60 minutes or until cake is done. You can test it by inserted a clean toothpick in the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. Remove from oven.
- Let cake cool for 10-15 minutes in pan before removing it to cool on a cooling rack.
- While cake cools, prepare frosting as you want to pour it over a slightly warm cake.
- To make the frosting, melt butter, milk, and cocoa powder over medium heat. Stir frequently until chocolate is smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar until there are no more lumps. Pour frosting over barely warm bundt cake, taking care to cover the cake evenly. It’s cool if the frosting pools in the center of the bundt cake- easier to stick your finger in!
- Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.