This recipe has been developed for high altitude. My kitchen sits just below 7000 feet where this recipe was tested.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, drained (I used a 10oz can)
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Butter a 8×8 glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined taking care not to over mix. Fold in the corn kernels.
- Pour the cornbread batter into prepared pan. Bake cornbread for about 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean after inserted into the center. Remove cornbread from oven and let cool on a rack for 20 minutes before diving in.
- Cut into squares, slather with butter and honey and devour.