A hearty beef stroganoff recipe made in the pressure cooker!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 lb beef round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used stew meat)
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup sour cream + more for serving
- cooked egg noodles, for serving
- Select “Sauté” to preheat the Instant Pot. When hot, add 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned and soft. Transfer mushrooms to a plate for later use.
- Keep Instant Pot on “Sauté” mode. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Brown the meat in batches, about 3 minutes per batch, until all the meat is browned. Add more oil if needed. Do not crowd the pot. Transfer the meat to a plate.
- Add the onion to the cooking pot. Sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and beginning to brown. Add the garlic and tomato paste. Sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the beef broth to deglaze the pot, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom. Add the browned beef and any accumulated juices. Lock the lid in place. Self “High Pressure” and cook for 18 minutes.
- When the cook time ends, turn off the Instant Pot. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and cold water until smooth.Add the slurry to the pot. Select “sauté” mode and bring the gravy to a boil, stirring constantly until it thickens. In a separate bowl, combine 1/3 cup gravy with the sour cream and mix well. Add the sour cream mixture to the cooking pot along with the cooked mushrooms and stir until well blended. Serve over egg noodles.