- 2 medium delicata squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 oz Italian style turkey sausage
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 bunch kale, coarsely chopped (about 2 heaping cups)
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock or water
- 1/4 cup grated jarlsberg or other swiss cheese<
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- To prepare squash, preheat oven to 375F degrees. Place halved and seeded squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with a touch of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, prepare filling. In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add turkey sausage and onion, cooking until sausage is cooked through and onions are soft about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir sage, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper into the sausage mixture. Add chopped kale, sherry, and water. Give a good stir and then cover pan with a lid for 3-5 minutes, stirring a few times, until kale is starting to wilt and most of the moisture has evaporated. Remove filling from the stove and let cool 10 minutes.
- Lastly stir in both cheese and taste, adjusting seasoning if necessary.
- Split the mixture among the 4 divided squash and top with a tablespoon of breadcrumbs if desired. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until filling is heated through and squash is completely cooked. Remove from oven and enjoy as a meal or hearty side dish.