A not too sweet shortbread studded with lemon zest and just the right amount of dried lavender.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons teaspoons dried lavender
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup (two sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- coarse sugar, optional
- In a food processor, pulse powdered sugar, dried lavender, and lemon zest until lavender flowers and lemon are well incorporated.
- Add softened butter to the food processor and cream with the sugar. Add flour and salt. Mix just to combine.
- Remove dough from food processor and on a large piece of parchment or waxed paper, gently form dough into an 8-inch log. Gently roll the paper around dough to create a smooth log. (Dough will be sticky) Chill dough at least 4 hours or up two a few days.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 375F degrees.
- Slice chilled dough into 1/4-inch slices. If desired, roll or sprinkle in a coarse sanding sugar.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.