For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- M&M brownies for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt better over medium low heat. Add cocoa powder and stir to combine. Remove from heat and add sugar and eggs; use a whisk to fully incorporate. Stir in flour, vanilla and salt. Stir just to combine.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Batter will be thick so you’ll have to use a spatula to spread it out. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove brownies from oven and put on baking rack to cool.
- Meanwhile make frosting. Sift together sugar, cocoa and salt; set aside.
- Cream butter in mixing bowl using a stand mixer. Gradually add in sugar to butter, alternating with milk. Add vanilla. Mix until creamy. Spread over warmish brownies. While frosting is still soft, add M&M candies and softly push them in. Let brownies cool completely before cutting into them.