- 1 medium head red cabbage
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 heaping tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut, core and shred cabbage finely with a mandolin slicer or very sharp knife. Place cabbage in a large bowl.
- Place water, vinegar, and sugar in a bowl and whisk together until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Stir in the minced garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes if using.
- Pour brine over the cabbage. I find it’s easiest to do this in a big bowl. Then transfer cabbage to a glass jar(s) with a tight cover and let sit on the counter for 4-6 hours before transferring cabbage to the fridge to chill.
- Pickled cabbage is delicious on tacos, in a sandwich and I love it as a side to scrambled eggs!