- 12 oz frozen waffles (about 10)
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Butter a 9×13 pan or large cast iron; set aside
- Lay frozen waffles on a large baking sheet and bake in oven for 15 minutes until just slightly toasted; remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in a large sauté pan over medium heat until cooked all the way through and brown; drain the fat and reserve the sausage.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, maple syrup, ground mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper. Whip until well combined.
- Make one layer of waffles on bottom of prepared pan. (If you’re using a 9×13, you’ll use 1/2 of the waffles. If you use a cast iron, you’ll use 3 1/2- Just break them to make fit!)
- Sprinkle the waffles with 1/3 of the sausage, shredded cheese and scallions. Repeat. Pour the egg mixture over the waffles and cover with plastic, pressing down, and then cover tightly. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, slice and serve. Drizzle with some warmed maple syrup for good measure!
I really think buttermilk waffles are the best for this recipe. I’ve use wheat and whole grain waffles and I just don’t think it’s as good