An easy vegetarian soup made in the slow cooker. Classic creamy tomato with cheese tortellini!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28-oz cans whole tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium veggie (or chicken) broth
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 oz cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3-5 minutes just until softened. Add minced garlic and cook 1 minute more. Turn off heat and transfer onion mixture to the base of a slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add crushed tomatoes (with juices), veggie or chicken broth- whatever you’re using, grated carrots, bay leaf, and sugar. Cover and cook soup on low for 3-4 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- In batches, add the tomato soup to the blender (or you could use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Put soup back into slow cooker.
- Add tortellini, heavy cream, dried spices, and a pinch or two of kosher salt. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes just until the tortellini is cooked through. Taste soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve soup with plenty of grated parmesan and fresh basil if desired.