A slow cooker taco filling with lean ground turkey and cooked lentils.
- 1 lb dried lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place the lentils and stock in the slow cooker. Add the turkey along with the onion, garlic, and all the spices and seasonings.
- Cook on low for 5 hours. Stir as needed at the end of cooking to break up the turkey meat. Remove cinnamon stick and serve over greens or as tacos like I’ve done above.
To freeze: remove the cinnamon stick, let cool, then divide and portion the filling to freeze. Two cups is usually plenty for a family of four for tacos or salads.