- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground turkey meat
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3–4 dashes hot sauce, optional (I like Crystal brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 russet potatoes
- shredded cheese, diced pickles, diced pickled jalapeño, diced onion (optional)
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Or if you have this amazing Hamilton Beach slow cooker, you can heat the oil right in the base on the stove top.
- Add chopped onions and cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook just until the meat is no longer pink. Add garlic and cook one minute more, stirring the meat to break up any large pieces.
- Remove from heat and transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in tomato paste, bbq sauce, ketchup, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce and pepper if using.
- Cook on low 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, bake the potatoes in a preheated 400F degree oven. I like to rub just a bit of olive oil on the potato skins and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Bake on a cookie sheet for 45-50 minutes until softened all the way through.
- Split baked potatoes in half lengthwise and slather with desired amount of sloppy joe meat. Top with shredded cheese, diced pickles or jalapeños and red onion.