- 2 tablespoons avocado or canola oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground dried chipotle
- 4 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup dark pure maple syrup
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally, until completely browned. Transfer turkey and any juices to a bowl and set aside.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion, garlic, and salt and cook, stirring often, for 6 to 10 minutes, until onion is soft and browned.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, and chipotle and cook, stirring, for 30 to 90 seconds, until spices are fragrant and starting to toast and darken slightly.
- Add vinegar and stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until liquid is evaporated.
- Add water and bring to simmer, scraping up any browned bits and spices from the bottom of the pot.
- Add tomatoes, beans, syrup, and browned turkey, stirring to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 14 minutes, until turkey and onions are tender.
- Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, and pepitas.